Thursday, October 2, 2008

Why I Love and Hate the Biggest Loser

I'm a big fan of the Biggest Loser and love to watch the amazing transformations people go through as they learn to take care of themselves and take responsibility for their lives and their health. I think it's doing a great service, and I hope inspiring people to get healthy.

The only thing I hate about it, is that they send someone home after the first week of working with a trainer. It takes longer than a week to form a habit and change your behaviors. Add onto that, many of them have very low self-esteems and just get angry and defensive when they get voted off and many times they have gained the weight back.

I think they need hold off on the sending people home until they have had a month with the trainer to learn and then form good habits to live a healthy live and teach their families what they have learned. I think they would have a higher success rate and I wouldn't feel so sad yet worried for the first 4-5 people that get sent home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think they need hold off on the sending people home until they have had a month with the trainer to learn and then form good habits to

Robert said...

From what I understand they *do* receive training support once they get home. It would be unethical for the medical staff of the show to release the contestants from care without appropriate resources to continue their 'treatment' at home.

So while they don't have the total immersion experience of being 'on the ranch,' they do receive support.