Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Beanchilada Casserole

I'm going to share the best recipe I ever made up on my own with you. Well I don't follow recipes to a t so think of it as a guideline. Do what sounds good to you.

Preheat oven to 350 or 400 or there abouts

1 can of black beans
1 can of fat free or vegetarian refried beans
1 can of corn
1 can of diced tomatoes or some rotel works too
cut up some jalapenos to desired spiciness if you don't use rotel
1 onion or as much as you can tolerate
shredded cheddar cheese heavy if you like, lite if you're going for healthy
several dashes of onion powder, garlic, and chili powder
If you like cilantro, throw some of that in too. If not, leave it out.

Mix it all together in a bowl

Get your favorite tortillas. Corn, Flour or whatever you fancy. I've had it with each kind and they are both good.

You'll need a can or 2 of enchilada sauce.

Pour some in the bottom of your favorite baking dish enough to cover it.
put a layer of tortillas down
Then a layer of mixture
then a layer of tortillas
then another layer of mixture
then a layer of tortillas and this should fill the dish
top with the rest of the enchilada sauce

If you prefer to spend more time, you can roll up enchiladas. I found this way to go much faster and is just as tasty after rolling them up once or twice. Oh and it's less messy.

Cover with foil Bake until it's good an bubbly. Remove foil and sprinkle some cheese on top for the last 5 minutes or so. You might want to put a cookie sheet under it to catch spillage. Unless you just have a large baking dish. I usually use a 9x9 dish which tends to cause a wee bit of spillage.

Makes enough to feed a reasonably eating family of 2 about 3 times give or take. But we usually stop after 2-3. Seems like it would be perfect for a family of 3 unless one of you is a wolf.

Oh I also like to add sour cream after it's on my plate....I'm sure guacamole would be tasty as well if you like that sort of thing.

Enjoy

No comments: