Sunday, August 17, 2008

Hope and Hopelessness

Do you ever have those days full of hope and hopelessness all at the same time? You know there's something better for you out there but you don't know what it is or how to get to it? Do you have dreams and/or great ideas but you don't know how to make them work? It feels like the only way to make them work is to win the lottery, that way you don't have to bother with the risk of debt or asking for funding. Some people are very comfortable with debt. I am not one of those people as you may be able to tell from previous posts other than a mortgage. So my challenge then is how do I make my dreams and goals a reality without going into debt?

How do people get miraculous dream job offers? Well I think my dream job is to be my own boss, which means I have to somehow make that happen rather than hope someone will offer me that dream job.

Do you ever feel like life is only going to get worse if people insist on not taking personal responsibility for themselves and their families? Aren't you fed up with paying for other people's perpetual and insistent irresponsibility? I don't mind offering a helping hand, but don't insist I give one by taking my money and giving it to someone else? What's the point?

It's like teachers giving out lists to parents of what the children are supposed to bring to school the first day with unreasonable amounts of paper or pencils or whatever. And then when the kid brings it to school the first day, the teacher tells all the kids that actually followed through with the list to bring all their supplies up to the front of the room and watch as she hands out their stuff to the kids that "couldn't afford" or "didn't bother" to bring any supplies to school. I never had my supplies taken from me, nor did I take any supplies from my friends that I thought were better than mine. It was what it was. I'm not opposed to helping the kids whose parents can't afford supplies. But don't put all the supplies that were brought into one pile and then redistribute evenly.

That's the first lesson in income redistribution that a child may experience. That's what some people dream of. Taking money from the super wealthy and giving it to the super poor so they won't be super poor. The problem is that the super poor did nothing to earn this money. If it's just handed to them, where's their motivation to earn more than what's handed if they can always count on getting some rich person's money?

Teach your kids that income redistribution is wrong, but that charity and sharing is right. Especially the sharing of knowledge. Teach a man to fish and he can eat for a life time. And he will take pride in providing his family meals everyday. Handouts should be a temporary solution.

No comments: